Monday 22 February 2010

A very sad day.


This morning we had to have our beloved cat Pickles put to sleep. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in July last year. At that time we didn't expect to even have him for a month but he surprised us all and lived for 7 months. He had 2 embolisms in that time but he got through them with lots of love and care. Sadly today the third embolism was too much for him and we had to make the heart rending decision to have him put to sleep.

I am completely distraught. Although it was the right and only thing we could do in that situation, my heart is breaking not only because I shall miss him so so much but because I know his brother will be crying for him soon when he realises that he's not here.

Pickles was the most beautiful and adorable cat I have ever had the honour to know. We developed such a close bond in the time that he was ill. He had to have several tablets and an injection every day but was an absolute darling and never made it difficult. I am trying to take comfort from the fact that he was spoiled rotten and lived the life of a lord. He was so happy and to look at him you would never have known that he was so ill. He was doing everything that he did before he was diagnosed - running up and down the stairs, chasing his brother and playing with his toys. This morning was no different - we even commented on how well and bright he was. That is the nature of the beast though - blood clots happen so quickly and with no warning.

11 comments:

  1. it's awful to lose a pet and I send my condolences to you. Perhaps you could have a PussyGalore cat made in his likeness to remember him by?
    He has such a beautiful face. I hope that your other cat is not too sad- they really do miss one another. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Pickles, he looks such a gorgeous cat.

    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely understand how upset you are. Our cat midnight has heart disease, he has defied all the odds by still being with us 2 years after he was diagnosed. We adore him and every day we are thankful he is still here. He is at risk of blood clots too and the idea of that happening to him scares me to death. Like Pickles you would never know Midnight is ill. I really feel for you, please remember that your puss was loved and led a great life.. sending you a huge hug Claire x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss! It is so hard to lose a pet. :( Ours are members of our family. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss,He does look very happy and sounds like you gave him a wonderful life, sending muck love and hugs to you and his brother xxxb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the support everyone - it really does mean a lot to me. It is very difficult today to say the least - I'm surprised I have any tears left :(. Time will heal I know but I just miss him so much already. Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. I'm sending you a huge hug, as I know just how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. Animals have such wonderful characters and become a massive part of your life so quickly it it always hard to say goodbye. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped by to check out your page, so sorry to hear about Pickles always horrible to lose a family member of the animal variety. I am sure he had a wonderful life and is smiling down on you from kitty heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Rachel so sad to hear that you had to put pickles to sleep, hope you are okay, i know what i would be like if i had to put my wee dog to sleep, we treat them like our children,x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for you. In November we lost our beloved dog to breast cancer and the heart ache gets better but it is like losing a child.

    RIP little ones.

    ReplyDelete